About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Esther. I'm 20 years old and I've just started a job as a new graduate Registered Nurse. I'm also a dancer, and love thinking and reflecting about life.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Senses

So it's been 18days since my baptism on Easter Sunday and I just wanted to have a small reflection. Baptism is a big step, a declaration and it's provided me a great opportunity to talk to people about myself that I normally wouldn't. I'm definitely more open about being Christian which has been something I've not been so good at in the past. The main difference I've noticed is a sense of calm and peace, a reassurance. I know I have God on my side, He's still providing me with strength and security that I wouldn't have in myself before. I've been pushing myself because I know He's got my back. And I love this feeling and I love this dedication I have made to God in my life. It's really helped me realise what is important and understand parts of who I am more.

On another note, I've been on my nursing placement for nearly two weeks now and it has been an incredible experience! I've been in a physical rehab ward with 20beds and such a variety in patients and opportunities I have really grown with my nursing. This placement is definitely more nursing orientated with skills and roles, with medications, wounds, paperwork, assessments etc, and we don't really do as many cares any more. Most of the girls are quite pleased with that, but I honestly miss it. I enjoy doing cares as it provides a time in the morning to talk with your patient and get to know their routine. However one thing I do really love about this placement in comparison to rest home work is you see the patients improve and progress and leave to go back home. That makes me happy, to know that from when they first came in, and with your assistance they are now independently able to go home and live how they used to. One of our criteria is to develop a care plan for one patient, and my patient is leaving tomorrow which is sad but I'm also glad to know that he's progressed enough to be fit to go home. I went and said goodbye to him tonight and it was funny thinking I hope I never see you again because I don't want you to become injured or unwell again. But I guess that's part of being a nurse, you assist where you can but it's a specific period of time in which you can interact with them.

One experience I've had on the ward was actually my first fainting. I was watching a DR put an IV cannula into a lady and I had been on my feet for ages, and then standing still whilst watching wasn't helping. At first it felt like there was water all through me and I could feel myself spinning a little but i just shuffled my feet and tried to get the blood moving. I leant over to look closer and then I woke up on the floor wedged between the bed and the beside table. I remember feeling like I was asleep and that it was all a dream, and because I was so exhausted I really didn't want to wake up and was really confused when it was the Dr and my partner in front of me. The main thing I felt after this was disappointment in myself because I felt weak, and pathetic especially since it wasn't even a gory sight, there was no blood at all. So it was mainly from exhaustion, but it was definitely an experience to remember.

Other things that have made my experience incredible have been small interactions with patients, small jokes, them asking for you, hearing their story and just a smile in return. I know it sounds cheesy but it's definitely the small things, and the patients that make nursing so awesome. You go home and am pleased by the day when one person smiled who normally doesn't, when one person was strong enough to take an extra few steps, when they are able to do something independently, as small as holding a fork, or washing their face. These small things make each day wonderful and make you look forward to going back. I know I look forward to seeing how some people progress and just continuing to talk to others, getting to know what they were like, what they love and just being there for them. I believe that is the core to nursing, is acknowledging the small things and recognizing the individualism and who they are.


No comments: